Google

Saturday, May 30, 2009

Home from Atlanta

In Atlanta, I attended a TQM (Total Quality Management) class. I wasn't really sure going into it what to expect, but I was excited to learn some new tools.

Likes:
I liked the fact that the class was all about teaching ways to determine problems and how to find the requirements to fix the problems. It also covers testing those requirements to see if they are must have, delighters, or one dimentional. The process seems like it would be helpful, and I am anxious to try it a few times to see if it adds value in real life.

Dislikes:
The process is a bit over the top. You must do things like write the headings in a specific color pen and write letters that are 3/8 inch tall. It sometimes feels like you are getting scolded for such minor things that it is difficult to truly pay attention to the process because you must make sure you have the correct color or the correct number of lines on the card. At one point, the instructions had been so strict that we laughed as I read the description to put some "casual" red arrows on the board. It was actually supposed to be "causal" but we didn't even question that it wasn't casual and even joked about it until I realized I had misread it. :) Having said that, if it works, then I think it will be worth it. :)

We have a homework assignment to do before the last session that is in July. It seems like a lot of work (especially since we have a 2 person team instead of 5 or 6 so that we can do a topic that is important to our group AND the small fact that I am on vacation for 2 weeks), but I am hopeful that we will learn a lot from it.

I sat next to a sales guy from a competitor of ours on the ride home. It surprised me to learn that they had several employees in the Tampa area. I know there are a couple of other competitors in the area, so I guess there are quite a few of us around. Interesting....

I am home for a few days, and I am excited and saddened that school gets out on Wednesday. I still can't believe that we will not have any elementary aged kids after Wed. FREAKY.

No comments:

Post a Comment