Sunday, December 26, 2010

Day 1 - Boarding the Ship

Port from deck

We all got up around 9 which was nice as we didn't have to get up at the crack of dawn. I took Sophie to Tori and Marcus since they will be watching her for us while we are gone. She was so funny. She used to go over there a lot, but it has been a while now. Lily growled at her from in the cage, and Sophie hid behind my legs and pawed at the door like let's get out of here! She was fine one Lily was out of the cage and they could play.

I bought $130 of suntan lotion, Advil, Pepcid, bug spray, etc on a last minute buying binge, and then I rushed home. Mike and the boys had already loaded up the truck. Wow, I can't believe that I just typed truck in my own blog. Wow. I have been in denial about Mike buying a truck for a while.

We drove to the cruise port which was about a 35 minute drive, and as we are about halfway, Morgan says, "pull over!" Mike does an emergency stop, and she is sick in the grass. Great. She started the morning with a really bad headache,and I was worried when she first woke up. She feels better after that, and she had taken her meds before we leftk, so we assume it is that or the headache and move on. We were there just on time for boarding. We valet parked the car, and it was SOOOO cold for Tampa. It was in the low 40's and getting colder. It was really windy (30mph winds at the valet stand but it was so worth it to get out of the cold faster. We went inside to security, and Mike was the random selection. As we waited, Chris was telling me that they do that to them at school now - random security searches, Wow, times have changed for sure.

We waited in the check in line where Morgan asked me why were couldn't go tot he platinum line. I told her that only works on Delta for me and that we would have to go on a LOT of cruises for that! I try to get Mike and the boys to go to their own check in person, but the Carnival staff made us go together. It didn't take too long, but the key cards for the boys both said Michael with no middle initial. So, they had to figure out which was which. We then get our picture made for the port arrival and departure, and I looked like a terrorist. Morgan is upset about her picture but I explain that nobody will see it except the people checking us in and out in port. We then get our first family picture taken.

We can't get into our rooms until 1:30, and it is about 1 now. We went to the Lido deck to get food. We got lucky to get a table, and the pizza was a hit - especially when we find out it is 24 hours a day. They also have ice cream 24 hours a day and daiquiris for kids!

Then, we went to our cabins. The girls were shocked at the size of the bathroom, but I didn't think it was that bad for a ship. Morgan was spoiled by Grams and Papa's suite last time, so I think the whole thing was a shock to her.

 Boys on deck sailing from Tampa

The boys luggage came quickly, but ours didn't. We went to the lido deck to meet the cruise critic crew, but we weren't there long because it was time for the lifeboat drill. We didn't have to bring our lifejackets. They gave us a safety briefing, and then we were done. Painless. Much easier than Holland America actually.

Kids at Lifeboat Drill

Mike took Chris to Club O2 while I took K, M, and M to Circle C which is for 12 - 14 year olds. It looks like fun. They met some kids from Kansas City and Tennessee. Off to a good start. Morgan isn't feeling well though. Finally, the girls luggage arrived! Yipee! We unpacked and then went to dinner at 8:15. Our waiters are Reynauldo and ruban - the two R's. They are really good. We like them. The captain had come on earlier and announced that it was going to be rough tonight because the winds were 40-60mph. He didn't lie. Dinner was brutal. Moving all over the place. The poor waitstaff was really struggling. We all took dramamine just in case. Morgan still isn't feeling well. I had steak for dinner as did most of the table. I had a fantastic tomato soup beforehand. After dinner, when we are all stuffed, they bring in the desert menu. OMG...they have chocolate melting cake and it is on the menu every night. It is delicious! Think of a chocolate cake with hot fudge in it with a side of vanilla ice cream. YUM...Michael and Mike got creme brulee. It was good too.

Michael and Morgan enjoying desert!
Mike and Chris enjoying desert

Katie and Chocolate Melting Cake
Morgan playing with "Raynauldo" the mouse

After dinner, the kids went to their kid stuff, and Mike and I wandered around. We went briefly to a piano bar and to karoke but then Mike said he wasn't feeling well either. We just decided to go back to the room for advil. Then, all I wanted to do was climb in bed in my pjs. So we did. The girls came in around 12:30, and poor Morgan had gotten sick in the enchanted forest. She wasn't feeling well at all. I hope tomorrow she feels a lot better.
 Sailing from Tampa

Girls as we sail under Skyway bridge leaving Tampa


  1. Sounds like you guys are having a great time!!

  2. it was not a mouse and did you have to post a picture with my eyes closed?

    -Morgan <3