Google

Sunday, April 13, 2008

Cheer Weekend in Daytona

Wow, what a crazy few weeks. Nothing like being invovled in an acquisition and trying to work through all of the details that come with that, being sick, having several last minute parent team practices (since we only had something like 8 practices total), having my parents come into town and trying to spend time with them, having my new boss come into town unexpectedly, having Courtney in town, and of course having my already busy life. Whew. As you can imagine, I haven't had time to sleep so blogging was the next thing to go. :)

This last weekend was the last cheer competition of the 07-08 season. It was in Daytona Beach, and it was fantastic. We went over on Friday and hung at the beach with her friends and their families. It was so nice to relax in the sun for a while. Of course, I couldn't really relax because the girls were in the ocean most of the afternoon. Once, I was watching them and they got caught in a current. They were flying down the beach, and they were completely oblivious to this fact. I went running down the beach trying to get their attention until a man finally ran/swam to them and got their attention. They were amazed at how far they had gone. Good thing I saw them! We found out later that a 12 year old had died in the current that day. How sad...

The competition started bright and early Saturday morning. Morgan's Mini team got 2nd place by .04 points, and her youth team got FIRST place! Apparently, it is tradition to go into the ocean in your uniform if you win, so off the girls went into the water. They had a blast and thought it was so cool that their coach Alice told them to go into the water in their uniforms and even went in with them!!!

We ate lunch at Bubba Gump's and then Mike, Mark, and I changed clothes and went to meet for the parent team. I went to the car to get my make-up on and to put my hair up. I was digging in the bag, and I couldn't find my keys. I started to panic a little, and then I started taking everying out and handing it to Mike. Finally, there was nothing in the bag and there were no keys. Thinking that I had no time to worry about it with a parent team performance approaching, I went with Mike to his car to change shoes. When I put my foot in the left shoe, my toes hit something. DOOOOOHHHHHHHH...there are the keys! :) I was so happy that I didn't need to worry about it all afternoon. :)

We went to warm-ups at 4:35, and we got 4 minutes on the stunt mat, 4 minutes on the tumbling mat, and 4 minutes on the big mat. We did pretty well at practice, and that made me feel a little better. I was really nervous. We ended up waiting back stage for about 35 LONG minutes. We finally went on. The stunts that I was basing in went up fine, and I did my tumbling and such. The only problem was that Ruben caught the basket toss and hurt his knee. He went backstage, and so one of the basket tosses and one of the pyramid pieces wouldn't go up. I found out later that Abby was trying to get the spotter to put her up! How funny. It was really fun though. The boys had their, "I'm here to pick up cheer moms" shirts under their main shirt. They ripped off the top one and showed that one when they went to do their dance to Superman. :) It was hysterical.

We had quite a few margaritas after the performance, and I think everyone had a great time. Steve hit is back tuck, and Stephanie and Ms. Patterson did their back handsprings. It was so nice how all of the other gyms were so supportive of us as we walked by to chants of "Parents! Parents!" I would definitely do it again. :)

We drove home today, and I catch a 6:05 flight to Iowa tomorrow morning. ICK! I am NOT a morning person, so this should be interesting. I will post pictures and a video as soon as I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment