Monday, February 16, 2009

Monday in Cancun

Starting this morning a little slowly. We went down to breakfast, and they have a fantastic buffet. I had an omelet, but they make them a little differently here. They cook the eggs on both sides without anything in it, and then they add the cheese, mushrooms, ham or whatever. Then, they put it on your plate. So, it doesn’t really smash it all together. It was good anyway. :)

We learned that butter is called montequilla, and I learned how to say our room in Spanish. I am feeling surprisingly not too badly – until the end of breakfast. All of the sudden, my head hurts, my back hurts, and I think I am going to hurl. Try telling that to the girls who want to go swimming. So, I buck up, take 3 advil, and head to the pool.

I have a small banana monkey to try to heal myself, and I think it helped. We hung out at the pool all afternoon. The girls made piñatas in the morning in the kids room. It was amazing to see the process. They took a balloon, and then they added paper mache on top of it for 2 layers (usually it would be 10 or 11 layers for a bigger piñata). Then, they took colored paper and wrapped it in circles around the outside. After it dries for a few days, you cut a hole in the top, add candy and prizes, and then hang it up for the kids to hit with a stick. Emily and Morgan made beautiful ones, and they have been drying in the room.

In the afternoon, we played in the pool. The girls played with their masks and fins, and we had to persuade them to leave the pool at 5:30 after ALL day of playing. :) It was fun to see them have such a good time.

For dinner, we took the Royal Resorts bus to the Captains Cove restaurant. Grams and Papa and Mike and I split a seafood special for two (Papa and Grams had gotten it before and recommended it. It was so wonderful. Each of them had two lobster tails, several shrimp, calamari, grouper, scallops, and mussels. YUM. Grams and Papa got theirs without garlic, but Mike and I scared away the vampires and had garlic. While we were there, there was an enormous alligator (or crocodile – we weren’t sure) swimming underneath the deck. Way cool. Morgan had steak and Emily had chicken nuggets. They both had enough bread at the beginning to serve as their meal I think. Morgan ordered a banana daiquiri (virgin of course), but she thought it was awful. So, the nice waiter brought a strawberry one. She didn’t like it either. At least we have a picture of it. :)

After dinner, we went to wait for the bus. I thought it would be a nice family picture, so I asked everyone to get together for a picture. A man volunteered his brother to take a picture of all of us, so I said that it would be great. He takes the picture and then drops the camera with the lens open as he hands it back. The screen has flashing lines on it. The lens won’t open and close. BUMMER. No more camera. Of course, this is right before my trip to Malaysia. Mike and Morgan are both really nice and offer their cameras. The man feels so badly, and he keeps apologizing. He offers to pay some money toward a new one. I keep telling him that it is ok and that the camera has been a great camera. Mike works on it, and obviously he has talents that he hides from us. He is a camera repairman too! He FIXED IT! WOO HOO!! So, I have my camera back. :)

When we got back to the hotel, the girls decide that they need some ice cream, so we get some in the store. They have made up this song that is shish kum buzz, shish kum buzz, you heard me, shis kum buzz which sounds kind of like a rap. I think I might hear it in my sleep. They sing it as Mike and I go to the land of sleep. Another fabulous day in vacation land. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment